Wonky Stars and Itty Bitty Bars

Hello Canadian Modern Quilt Bee friends; Yay!!!.  August is almost upon us and I'm chomping at the bit to show you my Queen Bee Block.  

IMHO,  August is the very best month to be getting blocks pieced for me because I've had an opportunity to see all the ahhhsome blocks you've already sewn for others - so I know you're all capable of GREAT THIINGS.  Amiright?  

And I am convinced I'm right on point when I say that August is also a faboolous month to be hanging out with all the folks you love - outside - at the cottage - on the beach, anywhere,  rather than sitting in your hot sewing room/studio, trying to piece a block while up to your elbows in every piece of fabric you ever owned, except of course the one you need right now.  Does that happen to you?  I can't even tell you how often I end up dumping out every bin I own looking for exactly the right shade of orangey-red.  

Anyhow, I thought I'd try to reach a compromise with everyone that will allow us to enjoy the late summer days with a minimum of fuss, muss and Quilty frustration.  

Here's what I am proposing. Lets keep it simple.   Its just two 12" (finished) blocks with wonky stars and itty bitty bars.  I haven't got a pattern to share with you,  but I below a picture of what I'm aiming for,  I am  also providing a link to a wonky stars tutorial that may help be helpful if its a while since you made wonky stars. 



Below are four examples put together for you to look at.  The block is composed of up to six strips of low volume background fabric with a little wonky star of any colour nestled somewhere and then a bar of a contrasting or bright  fabric added for some extra punch.  




To make one block, I selected a bunch of low volume strips for the background.  My strips are mostly 2.5" x 14”  although there are some that are as small as 2” wide and some that are 3” or more, because that's what I have and it also gives me a little leeway when trimming the block at the end.  I also chose 5 different shades of pink for the wonky star (scraps at least 2.5" square) and a strip of another fabric that measures at least 1.25" x 14”.




Here is a quick overview of how I made it.

1.  Select 3 strips to build the star with. Set the others aside for now.
2.  Decide approximately where you want the star to be positioned on the block.  I wanted to make mine about 3" down from the top, so using my rotary cutter, I made a cut across all 3 strips at the 3.5" mark. Next I cut another strip 2.5" down from the first one on two of the 3 strips.  Finally  I laid out the strips like you see in this picture. 



4.  The strip with only one cut will be the centre of the star.  
5.  Use the 3.5” piece you sliced off the strip to create the top points for the star.  Use the remainder of the strip to create the bottom points for the star.  Here is a tutorial from Pieces by Polly if you need a reminder on how to make wonky points. Basically the points are flipped corners. 
6.  Cut a pink scrap into a 2.5" square.  Place it between the top and bottom star points. 
7.  Now make the side points using the 2.5" section you cut from other two strips.  Your wonky star block with look something like this. 



8.  OMGoodness, this is now just an elongated nine patch.  Sew the rows together as you would any other nine patch.
9.  Take the strips you set aside in Step 1 and place them beside the star unit (you can offset the star if you like). I put two on one side and one on the other, but you can put all three on one side if you like.  Totally up to you!



10.  The only thing left to do is make a slice across the strips and add your bar of another colour.  You can add the bar before or after you sew the final strips to the side of the star unit.  Your block should be oversized because you started with strips at least 14” long.  That means you can make the bar as skinny or wide as you like. If you need a visual, take a peek at this....


11.  After the bar is added, just trim the block to 12.5" square and you are done.  


You can use any low volume fabrics that have a white, silver or light grey tone. (No beige-y fabrics this time).  Your star and bar can be any colour at all.  The sky’s the limit. I’d like the stars to be smallish but whatever you make I will love!  Promise!!!

Finally once again, this is what four of them together look like.  I’ve turned every second block sideways because I love the way they look with the strips going in different directions.  Texture galore and lots of negative space makes this an ahhhsome and easy modern take on a very simple block.  



Easy Peasy right.  Have a great August.  Message me on IG @freckledfoxquiltery or email at freckledfoxquiltery@gmail.com if you have any questions.  

My mailing address is 2500 Eastern Road, York RR2, PEI. C0A 1P0.  I'm all atingle with excitement to go to the mailbox this month.  Its gonna be great.  



















Comments